Skill Tree lines

 Author: Cameron Taylor

The skill tree had been in the game for a while but it didn't have connected lines until now! For the longest time I thought I would need to have the engine to dynamically draw the lines through some voodoo magic. This is the main reason I was putting it off, but the real issue was I had no idea how to attempt this. I ended up using assets but they were weird in the beginning since they looked fuzzy and I needed to hardcode the direction and figure out how to attach them to the scene.

The first thing I did was open mspaint and draw two diagonal lines: one going up, one going down. Then I imported those into the project and took the middle points of each skill and gave it the appropriate texture before it so that the line would look like it's connecting the two skills. I also needed the system to know the line was connected to that skill so it could highlight and change colors for when the player had enough money to buy the upgrade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding assets to every enemy -- Owen Meyers

Sphere to AABB collision