Replayability

Author: Cameron Taylor

As part of the final build the game needed replayability without restarting the program. I solely chose to solve this and the first thing was to allow the player to go back to main menu and restart the game from the main menu. The challenges I ran into was the gamestate that the main system "thought" it was on. I used the gamestate and sent messaged to intermediary to know when they could use the exit button and what to do. The other issue was level constructor was never setup to handle going back to the main menu or reloading the start floor. So when attempting to throw them back and forth I ran into plenty of issues with doors going invisible or just completely breaking. The enemies also started cloning themselves which is obviously not great for gameplay.

To fix the button issue I needed to add new states to the build so that I could further figure out where we are in the program and started storing the previous state. For the next issue I needed to add some functions that would handle making the main menu and first floor instead of having them inside init. This wasn't too difficult, but I needed to handle what functions were then being called from intermediary which was slightly annoying in the beginning. Overall the game is now super replayable with death, pressing exit, ect. The only way to close the game now is by pressing exit and then walking to the exit door.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding assets to every enemy -- Owen Meyers

Sphere to AABB collision